If you are in the kitchen and bath industry, you probably are aware that TOTO’s headquarters is in Kitakyushu, Japan. But what you might not know is that TOTO USA maintains 23,500 employees in 69 offices around the world. Established in 1917 with the founding of TOTO, Ltd., outside of Japan, now owns manufacturing facilities in USA, as well as Mexico, China and Europe with an affiliated network of more than 80 production facilities worldwide!
But it was in 1989, in response to the state’s dramatic drought conditions and the growing need for water conservation that TOTO USA was established in California. Because of the company’s Global Group’s reputation in high efficiency toilets, TOTO quickly became the favorite of both US water conservation experts and consumers as its toilets reduced water consumption while providing effective flushing performance.
Fast forward to January 2015. Being a part of #BlogTourVegas, I was invited to a special breakfast event sponsored by TOTO USA. Knowing the well known reputation of this company, I was excited to go to this event held during the Design and Construction Week held in Las Vegas. It was mid-week when we ventured off to The Palazzo Casino Restaurant to meet our hosts.
Have you ever had a breakfast in a great venue, with great friends, and unforgettable conversations? This moment in time was one of those. It was here that I found out more about my BlogTour friends and heard more about the people of TOTO USA. It was here that #BlogTourVegas heard from Bill Strang, President of Operations for the Americas say…
Please excuse the potty talk.
Sorry…it was said and it shall be noted!
During this wonderful breakfast, Bill started off with how TOTO, in 1989, influenced the market because of the growing need for water conservation in California. That year, TOTO introduced the 1.6 GPF (gallons per flush). As the market grew interest in not only the water conservation, it also became apparent that the market’s interest grew in the technology in the home. But at the time, I don’t think it is as prevalent as it is today.
And it was here at the breakfast table that I met Katsuhito ‘Katz’ Nojima, the Chief Operating Officer, of TOTO USA. It was such an honor to be sitting at the same table as Mr. Katz Nojima. We shared many similarities, especially how we both raised our kids and shared typical parent-child relationships in today’s world. We also talked about fashion, shopping, and technology, and how all affected our day to day living in this modern world. What an interesting realization that no matter where we are in the economic strata, phase in our lives, where we are from in the country, we are all people of the world, we all face the same issues with relationships and how we connect with people.
This brings me to TOTO’s goal in terms of their belief in PEOPLE-First Innovation, which is to ‘always advance thought, generate improvement, and spur progress. The company is known for its design-forward, global aesthetic that exceeds the highest standards in performance and environmental conservation…Recently, the Brookings Institution acknowledged TOTO for its efforts in Clean Economy jobs creation…an important element in America’s emerging economy’.
Let me share another factoid…TOTO, Ltd is largest manufacturer of bathroom fixtures and fittings with $5.1 billion dollars in annual sales! With over 1,500 engineers on staff and three centers devoted to research and development, TOTO is dedicated to engineering products that respect the environment while meeting people’s needs for comfort, beauty and performance.
TOTO’s corporate philosophy – People-First Innovation – ‘is the guiding principle for all the company’s processes, from engineering and design to manufacturing and sales’.
TOTO says that they have you in mind when they engineer, design and manufacture their product. ‘Consumers enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing they purchased a brand that innovates to improve people’s quality of life.’ As a brand, they continually to raise the industry standards and consumer
expectations in the luxury maket.
TOTO USA – HISTORY OF INNOVATIONS
Bill Strang continued to speak about TOTO’s innovations in the last 25 years. It’s rich history of innovation became part of our daily lives, as they’ve set the standards in the performance and environment conservsation as we know it.
The following are highlights of breakthroughs in over the 25 years for TOTO USA and you may find interesting and surprising:
- 1.6 GPF toilets in U.S.
- SoftClose Seats – TOTO was first to designed and introduce to market
- 3″ Flush valves
- Hydrotect- is photocatalyst technology that harnesses the power of light and water to clean surfaces of dirt and grime. It can be used effectively in numerous applications, from exterior walls and glass to interior walls and floors. Benefits of having Hydrotect:
- Easy to clean surfaces
- Antimicrobial/Antifungal surfaces
- Air Quality improvements
- Building maintenance savings
- Reduction in the use of toxic cleaning
- Adds value to LEED projects
- Skirted Design toilets with modular Rough-in
- Electronic toilet flushometer
- Sanagloss glazing (introduced after 1999 and before 2002) – TOTO’s patented, super smooth glaze that repels matter and bacteria, making it difficult to adhere to porcelain.
- Neorest 600
- Tankless toilets
- Auto-flush washlet
- 1.28 GPF toilets
- High-efficiency faucets
- 0.5 GPH urinals
- High-efficiency showers
- 0.125 GPF urinals
- Crossville partnership
- Dual-Max Cyclone flushing technology
- Ewater technology
- 1.0 GPF toilets
- Neorest 550H
- Neorest 700H
- About NEOREST Toilets – first auto-aware, tankless toilet with integrated personal cleansing system. Sleek, modern design, NEOREST integrated toilets respond to users by opening, closing, and flushing automatically. Their integrated personal cleansing systems offer warm-aerated water to clean and warm air to dry, significantly reducing the consumption of toilet tissue.
- 2015 – KBIS Highlights
- Neorest Expands the Neorest Collection
- The bowl and concave rim of Carlyle II 1G and Verpin II 1G are coated with SanaGloss, TOTO’s nano-technology glaze that seals the porcelain with an ionized barrier. This creates a super-slippery, non-porous surface that repels visible and invisible waste. When protected by SanaGloss, the water that cleanses the bowl and rim during the fush also removes waste, stains, residue, and limescale buildup. When cleaning the bowl, owners will need fewer harsh detergents, which are expensive and harmful to the environment.
OTHER KBIS 2015 HIGHLIGHTS
Thank you for visiting and getting to know more about our sponsor!